Tuesday, April 29, 2014

More Florida Nostalgia...


Soon after my parents moved to Stuart, Florida in 1976, I drove down from Chicago to visit them along with my great Aunt Babe (my mother's aunt, in the photograph above on the right) and her daughter-in-law Lorrie (on the left).  My parents gave us the grand tour, showing us the highlights of the area. I remember my father driving us along the Indian River, past beautiful Florida scenery, thinking he was giving everyone a big treat.  Halfway through the drive Babe asked when we would get out of this swampy crap.  It reminds me of when my mother got older and lived with me here in Colorado.  I drove her through the mountains to show off the beautiful scenery, and all she wanted to know was how much longer it would be until we got back to civilization.  I guess when you grow up in Chicago, you are never comfortable unless you have sidewalk under your feet. Maybe that explains why Highlands Ranch, Colorado always gives me the creeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment