Thursday, May 15, 2014

El Camino de Cabrini


I mentioned to my co-worker Peter that I was hoping to one day hike the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage trek across Northern Spain. Far from being impressed, Peter suggested that a cheaper alternative would be to hike the entire length of Colfax Avenue, the longest street in America.  And the more I thought about it, the more I thought "why not?" Colfax is 26 miles long, and starts east of Aurora, Colorado.  It runs through Denver and Lakewood, and ends in Golden at the start of the foothills.  Plus, it is perfect for a pilgrimage, since a mere 5.5 miles beyond the official end of Colfax is the Mother Cabrini Shrine, which honors America's first saint.  After all, why can't we have our own pilgrimage trek right here in America?  Are European saints that much better than American saints? In the immortal words of Mother Cabrini herself, "No Way Jose!"  Not only would it take a mere 3 day weekend to complete, but there would be all kinds of fascinating sights to see - East Colfax motels, the Tattered Cover Bookstore, LoDo (lower downtown Denver), the Big Bunny Motel (onetime home of actress Sue Lyon of Lolita fame), and the world famous Casa Bonita, home of indoor cliff divers and all you can eat Mexican food.  Not to mention the Mother Cabrini Shrine itself.  And talk about the interesting (i.e. crazy) people you will meet along the way! Plus, I defy anyone to tell me they can tell the difference between the scenery at the Mother Cabrini Shrine and the scenery in Northern Spain (see photograph above).  I am really excited about this idea.  Maybe I can even con - I mean persuade - my former DU Bookstore colleagues to join me on this trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment