Saturday, May 10, 2014

Fight Night!


I went to the Cinco de Mayo celebration at Civic Center Park here in Denver last Sunday, and was surprised to see that they were hosting boxing matches in a makeshift  ring right in the middle of Broadway. It reminded me of my old co-workers Larry and Darrel from the DU Bookstore, both of whom - at the insistence of their fathers - boxed when they were young.  Darrel was pretty successful in his matches back in Iowa.  Larry, on the other hand, wound up fighting an opponent from Joliet Illinois Correctional Institute, known far and wide for the ferocity of their fighters.  Larry eventually did start talking to his father again after a couple of years, but I think his fight career ended after that particular bout.  And by the way, if I've told this story before on this Blog, you can let me know, but I'll tell you right now - I don't care.  That's the prerogative of the older generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment