Saturday, November 21, 2015

I'm Certainly Not Getting Old, Am I?


I took the above self-portrait - which seem to be called "selfies" these days - a few weeks ago in front of the USS Midway, when I was in San Diego.  My friend Wally (who still works at the University of Denver Bookstore) served on this ship, and I always like to kid with him and ask what it was like to serve on that aircraft carrier during World War II.  He actually served on it during the Vietnam War, which is not exactly just yesterday, either.  But I got a taste of my own medicine the other day when I dropped off my car to have a part replaced and took the bus to work from there.  Both on the trip to work and the trip back, I had to stand, and both times people got up to offer me their seats.  And one of them was no spring chicken, either.  Granted, that was a nice gesture, but it had me looking in the mirror that night to see what other people were seeing.  And all I saw was that fresh faced kid from the South Side of Chicago.  Perhaps the mind filters things out for your own good.  Better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment