Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday At Mission San Diego De Alcala


This morning my Uncle Jack and Cousin Denise and I went to the Mission San Diego de Alcala, where my Uncle Jack is the head usher at the Sunday Mass.  It is a beautiful mission church established by Father Junipero Sera in 1769.  And just in the San Diego newspaper today, there was an article about a very large protest that took place here a few weeks ago.  Native Americans are very unhappy that Father Sera was made a saint by Pope Francis when he visited the United States a few months ago, and choose to have their protest here, the first mission Father Sera founded.  That is kind of a shame, considering the people who attend mass here each Sunday are such a pleasant, mellow kind of crowd, many of them elderly (by which I mean older than  me).  In any case, I guess it must have woken them up and got them out of their usual Sunday routine for a while.  Or "rocked their world," as we hipsters say.  No word yet on whether Pope Francis intends to retract sainthood, but I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment