Monday, November 16, 2015

Post Office Flashbacks


I went to the Post Office to mail some bills Thursday night around 10 P.M., and noticed that the gates for the postal trucks was still open.  I didn't even think about it again until I went back to the Post Office Saturday afternoon, before my 5:00 until midnight shift at my part-time job, and remembered that Wednesday was Veteran's Day.  That meant a day off for postal employees, but double the workload the following day.  And that meant that the postal carriers were out in the freezing cold delivering the mail well past 10 P.M. Thursday night.  I immediately flashed back to the days when I was delivering the mail.  Sometimes I was out there until after midnight, trying to read the addresses in the darkness, desperately wanting to be done.  And no matter how late you worked, you only got paid a fixed amount for the route - no overtime.  Suddenly, working two job - including three nights until after midnight - doesn't seem so bad after all.  Heat! Light! Lunch Breaks!  My cup runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment