Saturday, July 16, 2016

Razor Girl


I just finished an advance reading copy of Razor Girl, Carl Hiaasen's latest crime novel.  I must say, it was pretty good, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good read, not to mention a good laugh.  Hiaasen, by the way, is most famous for his book Tourist Season, which features an anti-hero who feeds new residents to Florida to the alligators.  Like Hiaasen, this character feels that newcomers to Florida have ruined South Florida.  However, I must mention that my mother and father moved to Stuart, Florida - located on what is called the Treasure Coast, about 90 miles north of Miami - in 1976, and it was a wonderful, laid back area. However, all those South Florida residents (including, no less, Carl Hiaasen) have been moving up to the Treasure Coast to avoid the crime and congestion, bringing that congestion and environmental degradation with them.  And because of this, do I suggest that Hiaasen himself be fed to the alligators? Let me think about that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment