Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Cheesman Park Arts Festival



I went to the Cheesman Park Arts Festival yesterday afternoon, and really enjoyed it.  This is a fairly new arts festival, but each year it seems to get bigger.  This year I noticed there were a number of exhibitors from different parts the country, although the majority were from Colorado and New Mexico. Cheesman Park is located in Central Denver and is a really nice place for a festival like this.  Many of the attendees live in the area, and walk  or bike to the event. And Cheesman Park was, by the way,  Denver's first cemetery. As Denver began to grow in the late 1800s, it was decided to make the cemetery a park, and most - but not all - of the bodies were moved to Riverside Cemetery, on the far north side of the city.


And yes - it is said that the park is haunted.  The removal of the bodies to Riverside Cemetery turned into a scandal at the time, with many shortcuts taken to increase the profits. The work was halted by the mayor, and never resumed.  And starting around that time, the ghost stories began.  Check out http://www.legendsofamerica.com/co-cheesmanpark.html to get more information on these spooky happenings  But I digress.  The thing I like most about this festival is that they have a lot of photography on exhibit, and most of it is pretty good.  I have noticed that the great majority of these photographers are around my age.  I am guessing that they retired from regular, good paying jobs and are spending their "golden years" pursing their hobby.  Sounds like a good idea to me.  And by the way, I did not see any ghosts yesterday, and do not plan to spend any time there after dark in the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment