Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Historic Buchtel Trail


I used to think that the Historic Buchtel Trail, which runs for almost a mile along Buchtel Boulevard starting just east of my Denver condo, was historic because of the early yuppies, who walked or jogged along it to Washington Park without the benefit of either bottled water or cell phones.  As great as those hardships were, it turns out that the trail is historic because it is the last remaining prairie in the City of Denver.  I learned this by reading the historic marker seen in the photograph above.  I suppose I could have read this years before, but each time I approached it my eyes were drawn to a huge sign warning of wild coyotes roaming the area.  When I took this particular photograph, I saw no such warning, and so was able to read the marker without worrying.  Which begs the question - are the coyotes gone, or does the city just assume we all know about the danger and doesn't feel the need to warn us about it anymore?  Good question.  Any answers?

1 comment:

  1. They are probably assuming that people are aware of the coyotes.

    ReplyDelete