Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Hanging Out With Stuart In Lakewood



I drove out to beautiful, exotic, but incredibly boring Lakewood, Colorado yesterday evening to have dinner and watch the baseball All-Star Game at Old Chicago with my friend Stuart (seen in the above photograph).  And why do I pick on Lakewood so much? The reason is because it is a typical suburb, and I have hated suburbs ever since spending 10 years of my life (my high school and college years) living with my parents in Country Club Hills, a southern suburb of Chicago with neither a country club, hills, or for that matter even trees.  Some suburbs, those that started out as small cities themselves and have an actual downtown, are fine - Golden and Littleton, suburbs to the west and south of Denver come to mind - but these are the exceptions to the rule.  Lakewood, like Country Club Hills, is a place where you have to get in the car and drive to go anywhere - they are not pedestrian friendly.  Stuart, on the other hand, likes the suburban way of life, and the quiet environment that comes with it, which is fine.  Lots of people do, but as befits "the king of the hipsters" (which my friends Bill and Renee call me), I like the city.  Of course, Bill and Renee live in Northglenn, still another typical Denver suburb, and so their version of a hipster might be a bit warped. And don't get me started on Northglenn.

No comments:

Post a Comment