Wednesday, July 17, 2019

South Park - Part II




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, my friend Stuart and I visited Fairplay this past Saturday afternoon, a town located in South Park, a high valley in the mountains southwest of Denver. Fairplay, a mining town founded in 1859 with a current population of 679, is not exactly a major mountain resort, but on the bright side, if you are looking for an affordable mountain home, I think this could be your town.  It appears to me that there are a lot of fixer-uppers available here, such as the home in the photograph on the left.  I did not see a for sale sign out in front, but I am sure if you contact a local realtor, you might be able to pick this or a similar gem up at a great price.  It looks isolated, but it is just a few dozen yards from a number of bars, which will come in handy in the wintertime.




From Fairplay, we drove north through the town of Alma and over Hoosier Pass on our way to Breckenridge, also a former mining town but much larger and gentrified into what a mining town would look like if it were inhabited by the nouveau riche. Hoosier Pass (named by early pioneers from Indiana - surprise!) is a pretty spot, as seen in the photograph on the right.  It has an elevation of 11,500 feet, and is the highest point on the TransAmerica Trail, a bicycle route that stretches from Yorktown, Virginia to Astoria, Oregon.  Now bicycling that route sounds fun - I am putting that on my bucket list for sure.  I just need to get in shape for it.  I am sure I will be ready for it in about 10 years. I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment