Thursday, July 18, 2019

Summertime Nostalgia




Next month is the time that my sister Susan and I usually visited our mother Mary down in Stuart, Florida, and therefore this week's nostalgia blog focuses on one of those trips, probably back in the late 1990s or early 2000s. The photograph on the left shows Susan on the boardwalk leading to Stuart Beach, holding her boogie board by her side.  Susan used to like going into the ocean on it, often quite far out, which just worried my mother to death. My mother and I would sit under the covered shelter on the boardwalk, and watch Susan's progress. And as you can see in the photo, Susan is pointing at me with obvious anger, demanding that I do NOT take her picture, which I always did anyway.





From Stuart Beach, Susan and I would often walk along the water to the House of Refuge Museum, while my mother would stay at the covered shelter on the boardwalk, read the Stuart News, and guard the boogie board.  That is evidently what we did that day, since I took another photograph of Susan on the beach in front of the House of Refuge, where she is once again pointing her finger at me in a threatening way.  I must say, it is indeed hot in Florida in August, but along the ocean there is a constant breeze that makes it kind of pleasant.



After spending time at the beach each day, we would head home to my mother's condo, where she would fix dinner for the three of us.  God knows both Susan and I miss those days now. After dinner, I would walk down to the St. Lucie River and take photographs of the sunset, one of which can be seen on the left.  The complex is known as the Monterey Yacht and Country Club, but since the City of Stuart did not allow the complex to dredge, there were no boats at the pier, except for Stewey  Anderson's sailboat, docked a discreet distance offshore and reached by a small dingy tied up at the pier.   Susan and I just renewed the lease on the condo, and so it will be at least another year before we once again get to see the place.  Too long, but what can you do?  It pays the HOA fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment