Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Visiting South Park With Stuart





This past Saturday afternoon my friend Stuart and I visited the town of Fairplay, located in South Park, a high valley in the mountains southwest of Denver.  This is also the setting for an edgy cartoon show I have never seen, which I am told has very high ratings. The highlight of the town is South Park City, an open air museum that features 35 original buildings from Colorado's mining era and recreates a mining town from the 1860 to 1900 period. I took the photograph on the left of Stuart posing in front of one of the buildings.  We did not go onto the museum grounds, however - they actually charge for admission here. The nerve.



Fairplay has a population of 679, and so it is not exactly one of Colorado's major mountain towns.  However, it does have a main street that we walked down to check out the late 19th century buildings, almost all of which were either restaurants, bars, or souvenir shops.  We also stopped at the Hand Hotel Bed and Breakfast to look around, where I took the photograph on the right of Stuart checking out the hotel's back porch, which has a nice view of a lake and the mountains beyond. Stuart seemed to like the town and asked the desk clerk about the rates and types of rooms available for a future visit.  I myself am not crazy about staying in a town of 679 people, no matter how nice the view.  In any case, I'll bet you can get a good rate here during the winter - it is the fifth-highest town in Colorado.


No comments:

Post a Comment