Tuesday, March 24, 2020

A Gentleman In Moscow



I just finished reading A Gentleman in Moscow, and I must say, it was very, very good.  I got together with Valarie, my friend and former University of Denver colleague a few weeks ago for happy hour, and she loaned me a copy of the book and insisted I read it.  And I am glad she did.  The story is about an "unrepentant aristocrat" who, after the Russian revolution, is sentenced by a Bolshevik tribunal to lifetime house arrest at the Metropol Hotel, just across the street from the Kremlin in Moscow.  And the story seems very timely now, considering that the mayor of Denver has issued a stay-at-home decree and ordered all non-essential businesses to close, thanks to the coronavirus.  At first, liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries were also ordered to close, which started a buying frenzy - with accompanying long lines - across the front range.  Then, two hours later, to avoid rioting in the streets and a possible violent overthrow of the city government, the ruling was amended to include both liquor stores and marijuana shops as essential businesses.  Things soon returned to normal, or as close to normal as things can get during a pandemic.  But as usual, I digress.  A Gentleman in Moscow was published in 2016 to critical acclaim, and I must say the praise is well deserved.  If you haven't read it yet, please do so.  It is out in paperback now, and I imagine the waiting list at the library should be almost non-existent by now, if by chance your local library is still open.  But one way or the other, I highly recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment