Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Ides Of March



Today is the Ides of March, the day Julius Caesar was assassinated in Ancient Rome.  He was warned, of course, but instead of "self-quarantining" at the palace, he decided to go to the theater, and was stabbed to death on the steps as he was leaving.  My sister Susan and I actually visited the scene of that crime when we visited Rome last May.  Rick Steves writes in his guidebook that the theater where Julius Caesar was killed was located in what is now a corner of the Campo de Fiori.  Our hotel was located just a block away from that piazza, seen in the photograph above.  This was the second time I have visited this delightful spot, and although I have studied Rick Steve's Rome guidebook a number of times, I have never been able to spot the remnants of that theater that he claims are there.  I guess I will just have to take it on blind faith.  After all, Rick wouldn't lie, would he?  Nah...

No comments:

Post a Comment