Friday, March 6, 2020

Nostalgia For Grocery Stores? Seriously?







Yes! Really!  Going to the grocery store was a big deal when I would visit my mother down in Stuart, Florida. We would head to the Downtown Publix for something or other every day.  After my mother came up to Denver to live with me, we would still go back down to Stuart at least twice a year, and Publix was always our first stop once we got there.  I took the photograph on the left of my mother on one such trip back in 2007, right next to her usual parking space, just before we went inside.  During the summer, they kept the store at a steady 33 degrees, and so leaving the store and walking into that hot humid air was just an incredible relief. And when I visited Stuart during the holidays, one of the best things on television down there were the Publix Christmas commercials, such as the Christmas Doves commercial.  Even though it is not quite yet the Christmas season, check it out anyway at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1foZ_szc3hI.





I even took a photograph of my father Nelson (seen in the photo on the right) many years ago at the Winn Dixie, which was located in Monterey Plaza, next door to my parent's condo complex.  That was the same Winn Dixie that golfers at their complex used to drive over to make par.  To save lives, the condo association changed the hole from a par 3 to a par 4, instigating a penalty if you did not hit your ball across a line drawn across the fairway.  This rule, of course, made sense, but it sure made shopping at the Winn Dixie less exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment