Friday, March 13, 2020

The First Bike Ride Of The Year!






It was sunny and close to 70 degrees this past Saturday, and so it was time for the first bike ride of the season.  I immediately headed to Denver's 16th Street Mall, and from there biked through several of Denver's trendy neighborhoods.  Everyone was out and about, and it looked like every restaurant's patio was packed to the gills.  Along the way, I took a self portrait (now called a "selfie") of myself wearing my treasured Chicago White Sox cap in front of the Grant-Humphreys Mansion, as seen in the photo on the left.


On the way home, I took another photograph of that house, built in 1902, and seen in the photo on the right.  The place is now owned by the Colorado Historical Society, and is a popular venue for weddings.  Years ago, I attended a wedding there for Aziz, at the time a University of Denver Bookstore employee.  Aziz is originally from Algeria, and I was amazed when he told me that his grandfather received a pension from the French for fighting the Germans, and another pension from the Algerians for fighting the French. What a crazy world we live in. Another legendary story about Aziz was when he bought a car from a friend for a few hundred dollars, and had it fully insured.  Just a few months later he made out like a bandit when it was destroyed in a hail storm, and got several thousand dollars from the insurance company. As Aziz would put it, what a country! This past Saturday, there was still another wedding going on as I biked past.  I was tempted to crash it, but decided it was too nice of an afternoon to get arrested.  Just call me a sentimental fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment