Saturday, April 17, 2021

April Snow! Say It Ain't So!



Actually, April is Denver's 2nd snowiest month, and so Thursday's snowstorm should have come as no surprise. I think people here were just spoiled by temperatures in the upper 70s for the first two weeks of the month. The official snow total was 6.9 inches at Denver International Airport, but somewhat less here in Central Denver. The snow was so wet and heavy, however, that there was a lot of damage to trees throughout the area. Those snow covered trees did look very pretty, though. I took the photograph on the left of the University of Denver's University Hall, the oldest building on campus (on the right in the photo), from out the window of my condo, using a telephoto lens.



I must admit it was a bit nerve-wracking trying to distinguish the lanes on Interstate 25 Thursday night as I was driving home from Fort Collins. However, yesterday afternoon, when I went out to do my errands, the roads were perfectly clear, and you could even see some blue sky as I was driving down Buchtel Boulevard, just to the right of which is the Historic Buchtel Boulevard Trail. And what makes this trail so historic? As far as I can tell, it is because it is made up of native plants and grasses. And I must point out to everyone that the settlers here in the West were so enthralled with those native plants and grasses that they paid big money to have trees, flowers, and grasses from back home shipped out here. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment