Thursday, April 15, 2021

Income Tax Day! But Not Really...


Today is April 15th, the traditional deadline for filing income taxes. However, due to the pandemic and the extra burden of issuing another round of stimulus checks, the IRS has extended the filing date until May 17th. I myself put both my federal and state taxes in the mail yesterday, as seen in the photograph above, despite the new deadline. For one thing, now that I am retired, I don't owe any money. And for another, due to delivery problems at the post office, it will probably take until May 17th, or even later, for the IRS and the State of Colorado to receive my taxes. The mail has been delayed due to pandemic related increases in package volume, as well as new policies instituted by Louis DeJoy, the postmaster general appointed by Donald Trump. In addition to that, DeJoy has recently promised to institute further cost cutting measures that will slow the mail even further. I think that is what is considered progress these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment