Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Month Of Photography's Final Weekend? Not By A Long Shot...



I spent this past Saturday afternoon visiting various art galleries participating in Denver's Month of Photography. Since March was now over, I was hoping some galleries still had those exhibits up. Many did, and I was very surprised to find that the Museo de las Americas (seen in the photograph on the left) recently announced the opening of still another major photography exhibit. If I had known this before, I could have attended the opening reception the previous night (the First Friday Art Walk for April). In addition to hobnobbing with Denver's art community, I could have gotten in for free. As it was, I was more than happy to pay the $5 admission fee (the senior rate, that I am now always given without even asking - so sad). And it was definitely worth it. I would have even paid $6 to get in. 



This exhibit, titled La Nueva Cara (The New Face) features works by not only well known Denver photographers and other local contributors, but also photographs by such famous photographers as Sebastiao Salgado, Imogen Cunningham, Denver's own Hal Gould, and Yousuf Karsh. The famous Karsh portrait of Ernest Hemingway can be seen on the right side of the photograph on the right. This is obviously THE major exhibit of The Month of Photography, and so I am not sure why it is taking place in April instead of March. But regardless, it is definitely worth seeing. Be sure to catch it if you can. It runs through April 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment