Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Reflections On Photography


I took the above photograph while I was walking around downtown Denver a few days ago. It reminded me of a long ago photography exhibit at the Denver Art Museum (the DAM), featuring the work of a local Colorado photographer. As I recall, I liked it very much. It featured photographs of the photographer's wife and pets, in addition to various street scenes, among other subjects. I later heard that a number of people in the Denver photographic community thought the work was very ordinary, and didn't deserve an exhibit at the museum. They were especially critical of photographs of store windows that reflected objects from across the street. Which is exactly what the photograph above is, reflecting surrounding high rises, as well as the Brown Palace Hotel, built back in 1892. And my opinion on the matter? I much prefer traditional photographs (including window reflections) to most of the more artistic (cutting edge) ones, which is a style I refer to as pretty damn weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment