Saturday, April 24, 2021

Visiting Boulder After A Snowstorm



I drove up to Boulder this past Tuesday afternoon, the day after a snowstorm produced a moderate amount of snow in that town. My first stop was Chautauqua Park, located right against the Flatirons, which was filled with Boulderites walking around the park and into the mountains.  Although the Chautauqua Auditorium is still closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Dining Hall is open for business. I remember many Sunday mornings having brunch there with my mother Mary, sister Susan, and brother-in-law George. Back then, brunch ended at noon, and it was always exciting to see if Susan and George would make it in time. They always did, but just barely.




My next stop was downtown Boulder, where I walked the Pearl Street Mall, as well as West Pearl Street, where I took the photograph on the right of the Arnett Fullen House (aka The Gingerbread House), built in 1877, the same year the University of Colorado opened a few miles down the way. This house is reputed to be haunted by a little girl in a white dress, who likes to sit on the spiral staircase. It is still a private home, and so I resisted the urge to knock on the door and request a tour. I am, after all, a model of self-restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment