Monday, November 8, 2021

A Car Proud Family




I think my Grandfather and Grandmother Spillard - but especially my grandmother - really liked cars. I have been going through some old photo albums, and it appears that my grandmother liked to pose in front of their newest cars. The photograph on the left, which I have featured on this blog before, shows, from left to right, my Uncle Jack, Grandmother Louise, and Uncle Bill in front of their new 1930s era car (possibly a Buick), in front of their apartment on the South Side of Chicago. 






The photograph on the right was taken of my grandmother back in 1957. I know the car she is posing in front of is a 1957 Buick, since I have a second photo that shows both the make of the car, as well as the year on the State of Illinois license plate. My Grandfather Spillard loved Buicks for some reason. After he had to stop driving, he gave his Buick to my mother. That was the car I drove during the road test for my first driver's license, which I failed by driving over a curb while backing out of a parking space. And by the way, I did pass that road test the next time I took it. So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment