Sunday, November 21, 2021

Taken For A Ride By Grandmother






The photograph on the left is of my grandmother, Louise Spillard, and myself, back when I was at my most charming best. We were evidently on an outing around the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago.  I can tell the photo was taken at the corner of 93rd and Aberdeen Street, just down the block from my parent's house. It must have been taken in 1953, the year I was born. I am not sure who took the photograph - possibly my mother, or even by my grandfather, Bill Spillard. The last time I was in Chicago, back in 2010, I walked through the old neighborhood and was pleased to see it was still as nice as I remembered. One of these days I hope to visit it again, although sadly, both sets of grandparents, as well as my mother Mary and father Nelson, are all gone now. Happily, the photographs, and the memories, still exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment