Sunday, November 14, 2021

A South Beach Flashback





Back when my mother Mary was alive and lived in Stuart, Florida, my sister Susan and I would often visit, and sometimes we would drive down to South Beach, check out the art deco buildings, and people-watch on Ocean Drive, as seen in the photograph on the left along with my sister back in August of 1994. Miami Beach is a fun place to visit, but the times I have been there after dark, the place was absolutely manic, the sidewalks jammed with people, and made very narrow due to restaurant patios. I have decided that it is best to be gone from there before the sun sets, and the crazies come out.







I took the photograph on the right of my mother (on the left) and sister (on the far right) back in August of 1989. I assume it was taken on Ocean Drive, but don't recognize any of the buildings, and so I suspect the location is south of where those famous hotels like the Colony are located. After 32 years, I sometimes can't remember details like that anymore. Hopefully, it is not a sign of early Alzheimer's.







One place I do recognize is the News Cafe, where we often stopped for a coffee, and to watch the crowds go by. It is amazing how many people would walk by with parrots on their shoulder, or dressed in outlandish outfits (at least by Denver standards). I checked online and saw that the News Cafe temporarily closed in January of 2021 due to the pandemic, but am not sure if it ever reopened. They do not seem to have a website anymore, which is a bad sign in this day and age.








My sister Susan took the photograph on the right of me posing in front of a South Beach advertisement back in 1994. Amazing enough, that shirt I am wearing is still in my closet. And now probably worth a fortune. Of course, the truly amazing thing is that I haven't aged a day since that photograph was taken. Time to get that portrait of myself, drawn years ago in Montmartre, out of the closet, and take a serious look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment