Wednesday, June 1, 2022

A Major League Baseball Update


As of the 1st of June (i.e. today), my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, are one game under .500, five games behind the first place Minnesota Twins. The Sox have been beset by injuries, with shortstop Tim Anderson, left fielder Eloy Jimenez, right fielder Leury Garcia, and third baseman Yoan Moncada on the injured list, not to mention pitchers Kendall Graveman, Dylan Cease, Lance Lynn, and Joe Kelly. Talk about cursed. Can the White Sox tread water until all those injured players return, or are they doomed? As far as I'm concerned, I am just glad I didn't bet my life savings on their going to the World Series, as many baseball experts predicted. Their North Side rivals, the Chicago Cubs, are in a rebuilding mode, ten games under .500, and in next to last place in the standings. The Colorado Rockies, who I follow because I have lived in Denver since 1981, are in last place, four games under .500, to nobodys surprise except owner Dick Monfort, who predicted a very competitive team before the start of the season. How somebody so rich can be so clueless is a mystery to me. But wait a minute. I forgot about Donald Trump, and so it is obvious that being clueless is not an uncommon thing for rich people at all. And yes, that is me watching a White Sox-Red Sox game on MLB.com in the photograph above, hoping against hope for a White Sox victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment