Sunday, June 26, 2022

Getting Nostalgic About The Sun Castle


As I mentioned in a previous blog post, my father Nelson, mother Mary, Grandmother Louise and I drove from Chicago to Pompano Beach, Florida back in August of 1963 to stay at the Sun Castle, a hotel right on the beach. It was a really nice place, and as I recall charged eight dollars per person per day to stay there during the summer, including breakfast and dinner. The photograph above shows my mother, grandmother, and me in front of the pool, where I spent a lot of time that week. The hotel was a three story building with a significant amount of beachfront, and we all had a great time there. Years later, when my mother was living in Stuart, Florida, we drove down there one day to look around, and the Sun Castle was long gone. There were nothing but high rises on both sides of the road, and if any of them were hotels, I'd be willing to bet they didn't charge eight dollars a day including meals any longer, although I could be wrong. I should probably head down there one of these days and find out. Tell them that was the price advertised on Trip Advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment