Sunday, June 5, 2022

Matchbook Memories





As many, if not most of you will remember, years ago so many people smoked cigarettes that restaurants and bars provided free matchbooks, with the front cover providing a cheap form of advertising. I have never smoked, but would always pick up a matchbook at every restaurant I visited, and then toss them into a bowl (eventually two bowls) when I got home. I still have those bowls sitting on a living room table, and looking at them now is like a trip down memory lane. A while back I took a photograph of a small part of that collection, as seen on the left, and each matchbook brings back all kinds of memories and emotions. Some of those places still exist, some are long gone, but all of them represent a part of my life. Josephina's, Dol Camino's, La Plaza, the Island Reef, Huckleberry's, even Two Guys Pizza on East Ocean Boulevard in Stuart, Florida all bring back happy memories. And should I now relate the personal history each of these matchbooks represents? Do you have eight to ten hours to spare? I thought not.

No comments:

Post a Comment