Friday, March 31, 2023

Lunching With Stuart In Lakewood



I had lunch with my friend Stuart, seen in the photograph on the left, at the Old Chicago in Lakewood, just to the west of Denver, Wednesday afternoon. Lakewood is a pretty ugly place - it's main drag, Colfax Avenue, is filled with strip centers, fast food outlets, pawn shops, and gas stations, while it's neighborhoods can best be described as plain suburban ugly. But thankfully, you can't see any of that from the bar at Old Chicago. Must be why it's so popular. In any case, Stuart and I discussed a wide variety of topics, including the upcoming major league baseball season. Stuart, as regular blog readers know, grew up on the North Side of Chicago, and is a Cubs fan, while I myself grew up on the South Side of that city, and am a diehard White Sox fan. I told Stuart that the Cubs made a lot of moves during the off season and are expected to have a pretty good year, but he seemed doubtful about that. Another Cubs fan whose spirit has been broken, I guess.



Yesterday, since I had the time, I watched the Cubs home opener against the Milwaukee Brewers, which the Cubs handily won by a score of 4-0. It seems to me that they might need a different catcher, since Yan Gomes had a hard time catching yesterday, and former Dodgers all-star Cody Bellinger might be over the hill, but otherwise they looked pretty good. The White Sox played last night, but since they were being televised on ESPN, I was unable to watch the game. However, I was happy to see via the internet that they beat the reigning World Series champion Houston Astros by a score of 3-2. Perhaps this will be the year for the first subway World Series between the Sox and Cubs since 1906, which the Sox won in six games. Get your bets down now. You'll get great odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment