Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Spring Break At DU


The University of Denver is on spring break this week, and it's wealthy students are no doubt jetting off to exotic locales across the globe. When I was the Finance Manager for the DU Bookstore and sometimes helped out at the book buyback desk during finals, the students would tell us to have a nice break too, assuming we would also be taking the week off. In fact, the staff was frantically checking in books and stocking the shelves to have things ready in the short time before classes started up again, while I was training temporary cashiers and preparing work and lunch schedules in anticipation of the deluge of students that would be heading to the store the following Monday. The college bookstore business has changed quite a lot since then, and so I have no idea what it is like these days at the DU Bookstore, currently run by Follett Higher Education Group. I suspect it is a lot less hectic now, thanks to the effects of internet competition, which is not a good thing for college bookstores and the people who work there. I am damn glad I am finally out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment