Thursday, March 23, 2023

Speaking With Light At The DAM




This past Tuesday afternoon I went to see Speaking with Light: Contemporary Indigenous Photography, a new exhibit at the Denver Art Museum (The DAM), and really enjoyed it.  It features the work of more than 30 contemporary Indigenous photographers on a variety of subjects, including landscapes, portraits, and street photography. There were also a number of portraits of Native American leaders taken back in the 1800s to compare the image portrayed of Indigenous peoples back then with the contemporary work on display.





My favorite images in the exhibit are by Zig Jackson, who has a number of photographs on display of himself while wearing a headdress, such as the one in the photograph on the right of him riding a bus in San Francisco. I usually don't like staged photographs, such as those by Cindy Sherman, but his I do. They make me smile, which to me is the best way to get your point across to people. For more information about the exhibit, check out the DAM's website at https://www.denverartmuseum.org/en/exhibitions/speaking-with-light.

No comments:

Post a Comment