Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Boxing Day!


Today is Boxing Day, the day people bestow gifts on their servants and give them the day off, after they have spent all of Christmas Day, not to mention the rest of the holiday season, waiting on their "Masters." This is, as far as I know, mainly a British tradition, and Boxing Day is actually an official holiday in the UK. In many movies and books I have seen or read, it appears that even poor English families have servants. Could this possibly be true, even today? If so, it boggles the mind. I myself had to give up my servants when I retired, and to me, Boxing Day is now all about going out and buying half-price calendars, especially those boxed page-a-day ones, such as the Rick Steves Europe Page-A-Day Calendar in the photograph above. In any case, I hope everyone out there has a nice Boxing Day this year, celebrating it in your own unique way. But be sure to give your servants the entire day off. You can always head to Chick-fil-A for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment