Saturday, December 23, 2023

Oh Deer! Experiencing Wildlife In Colorado


A while back my sister Susan and I drove from Denver down to Manitou Springs, just to the west of Colorado Springs, to revisit that Southern Colorado town. It is a cute place, founded as a tourist destination back in the 19th Century. They have 8 different mineral springs you can drink from, and are supposed to be very healthy for you. I assume that means the water must taste horrible, but I really can't say. In fact, I wasn't even sure whether you were supposed to drink the water or bathe in it until just recently. It would be embarrassing to show up at one of those fountains in a Speedo. Manitou Springs is directly underneath Pikes Peak - it is where you catch the Pike's Peak Cog Railroad, that takes you to the 14,115 foot summit - and there is a lot of wildlife around, including the deer in the photograph above, walking around close to downtown. I assume there are bears around, too, although I have never actually seen one outside of the zoo. There is still time, of course. I will just have to start hiking up the side of Pike's Peak carrying some tasty bear food, like Spam. Who doesn't love Spam?

No comments:

Post a Comment