Saturday, December 30, 2023

Meeting Up with The Leeds United Colorado Supporters At DNVR




My friend Mark and I met up with the Leeds United Colorado fan club yesterday afternoon at DNVR Sports Bar - located at the corner of Colfax and York here in Denver - to watch Leeds play West Bromwich. DNVR is located in the former home of the Three Lions Pub, a bar that catered to soccer fans, and it appears that DNVR is now trying to attract those fans, too. Sadly, Leeds lost to West Brom 1-0, but it didn't seem to dampen the spirit of the group. I guess Leeds supporters are used to being disappointed, very much like Chicago Cubs fans. I took the photograph of Mark on the left, wearing his Leeds jersey, at DNVR just as the game was starting.




I must say, I was impressed at the number of Leeds fans who showed up for the game. Leeds is in the Championship League, the 2nd tier of the English soccer league system, relegated there from the Premier League last year. I can understand Tottenham, a popular London soccer club, drawing a crowd here in Denver each week, but Leeds? Are they ex-pats? Have friends or relatives in Leeds? Or perhaps these fans have visited Leeds, fallen in love with the place, and support the team because of that? I have heard, much to my surprise, that over the years, Leeds has become a nice city to live in or visit, unlike nearby Bradford, which I hear has become a pit. And I mean that with all due respect. Pits can be a lot of fun. After all, who doesn't want to visit Gary, Indiana? In any case, on the right is the official photograph of that Leeds United Colorado get-together. A very pleasant, friendly group of people. Nice to get to meet you, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment