Sunday, August 4, 2024

Storm Warning!


Tropical Storm Debbie is heading up the Gulf Coast of Florida and is expected to become a Category 1 hurricane before it lands just southeast of Florida's panhandle on Monday. Over here on the east coast, it alternated between sunshine and pouring down rain yesterday, with much more rain expected today and tomorrow. Which is, of course, much better than being in the direct path of one of those damn hurricanes. I remember years ago, when my sister Susan and I were visiting our mother Mary here in Stuart, Hurricane Erin, a Category I storm, landed just north of Stuart, between Fort Pierce and Vero Beach. A few days later, we drove down to Boca Raton to have lunch with the wife of Susan's brother-in-law's and her children, who lived in South Miami. Their house was destroyed by Hurrican Andrew, and they spent several years living in a trailer parked in the driveway while waiting for their home to be rebuilt. When we mentioned Hurricane Erin, she immediately dismissed it as merely a Category I storm, which kind of surprised me, but I guess it all depends on your perspective. I understand the reasoning, but personally I prefer avoiding any and all hurricanes. And by the way, I took the photograph above while Susan and I were having lunch at Stuart beach yesterday. And surprisingly enough, there were only a few hardy souls out and about there.

No comments:

Post a Comment