Monday, February 5, 2018

A Final Word On First Friday





The past two days I have featured blog posts about last Friday's First Friday Art Walk, held monthly on Santa Fe Drive here in Denver.  It was not as crowded as in the summer, of course, but there was still a good turnout.  The neighborhood has been historically Latino, and for a long time Santa Fe Drive was a Spanish speaking street invaded once a month by hipsters and art lovers.  I noticed yesterday that that is changing. These days trendy coffee shops are opening up, and new, upscale apartments are being built in the area.  I imagine the hipsters are beginning to buy the late 19th century homes in the area and fix them up, too.  In any case, it is still fun to go down there once a month and peruse the artwork.  Much of it is pretty strange, and I have often remarked on this.  But then again, as I was working on the photographs I took last Friday night, I ran across the one on the left that I took in August of the woman carrying her dog like a new born baby, and I realized that for a lot of these galleries, this is their target market.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment