Monday, February 19, 2018

President's Day



Back when I was a kid, there was no such thing as President's Day.  There was Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday, and back at Fort Dearborn Grammar School, in the South Side Chicago Brainerd neighborhood, where I went to school, we got both days off.  Then they invented President's Day, which is on a Monday, and merges the two holidays into one, taking away a day off from school.  If that had happened when I was a kid, I would have been outraged.  Today's youth are being ripped off.  It is just not fair.  And by the way, I took the above photograph of one of the Kloak kids on Fort Dearborn's playground back in January of 1963, when we were both looking forward to two days off in February.  Those were the days, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment