Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Mind Is The First To Go...


Or so I have been told.  Since I recently turned 65, I think that is starting to happen.  I met with our regular group of former University of Denver Bookstore co-workers and their spouses last night at Salsas, a Mexican restaurant near the corner of 44th and Wadsworth, in beautiful Wheat Ridge, Colorado, and forgot to take a blog photograph.  I made a note to take the photo, brought the camera, and then spaced it out.  But what the heck - I have plenty of photos I have taken of them during one of our gatherings.  The one I have chosen was taken at Benny's, also a Mexican restaurant.  In the photograph on the left, from right to left is Valarie, the former DU Bookstore Operations Manager, her husband Jake; Darrel, the bookstore's former Accounts Payable Supervisor;  his wife Linda; Chris, the former DU Bookstore's Accounts Payable Assistant, her husband Jim, and, of course, me!  And by the way, Salsas has great food - everybody there thought their meal was wonderful.

The only person who was in attendance last night at Salsas who is not in the above photograph is Cheyanne, daughter of Valarie, who is currently staying in Valarie and Jake's Airbnb, located in the basement of their Wheat Ridge home, while the home Cheyanne recently purchased is being renovated.  But no problem - I have a photograph of her, too.  On the right is a photo of Cheyanne and Valarie taken at Salsas in December of 2014, on the occasion of Cheyanne's return from two years service with the Peace Corps in Mozambique.  Long time blog readers will remember that I featured her adventures in Mozambique in a weekly blog post.  Cheyanne taught English at a college there to students who were studying to be teachers, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I asked her when she was going to go back, and she said she did want to go back to visit her friends there, but not to stay permanently.  Having to kill your own chickens if you want a chicken dinner must not have the same appeal it once did.  In any case, Cheyanne said she is quite happy living in the Airbnb, and might even sell her new home and live there permanently, since it is such a great space and meals are provided.  Can't blame you there, Cheyanne. Good to see you all again, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment