Friday, February 9, 2018

The Great Plains



When you think of Colorado, you think of mountains.  What you don't think about are the Great Plains, which makes up about two thirds of the state.  I learned this when I first drove to Denver.  I kept looking for mountains in the distance, but didn't see any for hours.  It isn't until you reach Denver that the mountains appear, and the west begins.  In fact, Colorado was one of the states greatly affected by the Dust Bowl of the 1930s.  Not only did "okies" make the trek from The Great Plains to California, but "colies," too (I just made up that word, by the way. So sue me.)  I was thinking about all this as I drove up to Fort Collins on a bleak grey day, glancing out the window toward the east, everything flat as a pancake until you got to Kansas City.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment