Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The World Back In 1948



When my parents and I use to visit my Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie in South Euclid, Ohio (a suburb of Cleveland), and later at their condo in Stuart, Florida, I used to be fascinated by my uncle's world globe, a floor model from 1938.  It was a wedding gift to my uncle from Aunt Elsie, and showed a world long gone. I always wanted a globe like that, and then one day, while visiting a shop called Chuckles' Fine Books and Antiques (really!) in Hobe Sound, Florida with my mother Mary and her friend Marion Bellarosa, I found the above world globe. It is a table model that cost me $12.00, and when I got back to Denver, I bought an iron and glass stand to place it on.  It shows the world as it was back in 1948.  Israel was just a single dot on the map, the Koreas were one country, and Africa (as seen in the above photograph) was still colonized by the Europeans. It was one of my savviest purchases, and a very thought provoking one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment