Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Act of Killing


I am very tempted to see The Act of Killing, a new documentary film now showing at the Chez Artiste Theater here in Denver. The Chez Artiste used to be called the U-Hills 3, and is located in the University Hills South Shopping Center.  After the name change, the theater started showing more "artsy" films, but it still looks like the U-Hills 3 to me.  In any case, The Act of Killing is about the killing of one million alleged communists in Indonesia after a military coup in 1965.  One million people!  I never heard about this tragedy until reading the above movie review today.  Perhaps we were all too focused on the Vietnam War to notice. It amazes me that after the horrors of the Holocaust, something like this would be allowed to happen a mere 20 years later.  Things like this tend to reinforce my natural cynicism, which definitely doesn't need reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment