Sunday, August 11, 2013

When August Meant Two Weeks In Ontario


My family and my Uncle Bill's family, as well as my grandparents, used to vacation for 2 weeks every August at a resort called Britannia, located on the Lake of Bays, near Huntsville, Ontario.  My Uncle would drive up from Cleveland and our family would drive up from Chicago.  Everyone shared a cabin in the woods, and while my father and uncle played golf for two weeks, everyone else would swim in the lake, shop, and just hang out.  Three meals a day were served in the main lodge's dining hall.  My sister Susan and our cousin Judy would be first in line when the dining room opened, and made the young waitresses lives a living hell for 2 weeks.  Susan and Judy waited all year to get together, fought like hell for 2 weeks, and then just hated to leave.  Judy loved the place so much she spent her honeymoon there.  Recently I saw that Britannia was for sale (http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-740-4000021445/lake-of-bays-recreational-property-muskoka-on-p0a-1h0).  I originally thought the sales price was 4.5 million - a bargain waiting to be snapped up - but when I rechecked the web posting I saw that it was actually 9.2 million.  At that price, forget it.  I would have to give up the villa in Provence.

No comments:

Post a Comment