Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Locking In On The Day's Events


I stopped at Jordan's Irish Pub near my condo in South Denver last night to ponder the events of the day. After finishing work at my part-time job around 7:00 P.M. I discovered that I had lost the keys to both my car and my apartment. I was 12 miles away from home, and the lot where my car was parked would be locked at 10:00.  My supervisor gave me the phone number of a locksmith, and Gina, my co-worker, was kind enough to drive me home to meet him and then drive me back to my car, a twenty-five mile round trip. This really made me realize how many kindhearted, wonderful people are still out there, despite all the negative news these days.  Unfortunately, however, I think the locksmith and his company are part of the Russian Mafia.  I was told the lock would be very difficult to open, and it would cost $200 to do this and then re-key the lock.  Since I had little alternative, I said to go ahead, and after 5 minutes the door was open. I mentioned how quickly he did this, and he replied, with a slight Eastern European accent, that it was a very difficult job.  In point of fact, the difficult part was processing my credit card.  The locksmith had to call his supervisor (who I could overhear speaking with a heavy Russian accent) and give him the card information. The supervisor then evidently had to call company headquarters in Moscow to process the card.  This took, roughly, forever.  My advice to Blog readers is to assume you are going to lose your keys at some point in time and find an honest locksmith in advance.  And definitely stay away from the Russian mob.

No comments:

Post a Comment