Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Spirits Will Be Disappointed...


As faithful Blog readers know, I recently read Stephen Kings's novel "The Shining," and ever since then have had an overwhelming urge to visit the Stanley Hotel up in Estes Park (the setting for the story).  More specifically, I was planning to go up there on Halloween night.  It was if the Spirits were calling me there.  I was all set to make a reservation for the Halloween Ghost Night Tour when I found out that the two main roads into Estes Park - US 36 and US 34 - were both closed due to flood damage. The only way into Estes Park these days is via State Road 7, a winding, twisting, snow-packed road through the mountains that King describes perfectly in his novel.  The weather here in Denver has been horrible lately, and no doubt much worse in the mountains. If I drove up there on Halloween night for the tour, I might wind up getting snowed in at the Stanley.  And that is the EXACT plot of "The Shining." Everybody knows how that story turned out. I might be dumb, but I am not stupid.  Maybe next year, Stanley Hotel Spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment