Thursday, December 10, 2015

Chi-Raq


Since resubscribing to Chicago Magazine after a 6 month lapse, I have become a dedicated, if not obsessed, reader.  Call it nostalgia, or steroids, if you wish.  The December issue features an interview with filmmaker Spike Lee, who has just released a new film called Chi-Raq, whose subject is the incredible violence that is taking place on the South Side of Chicago these days.  Being a native of Chicago's South Side, I was very interested in the article.  Lee says that Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel tried to bully him into changing the title of the movie, which the mayor claimed would have a negative impact on the city's image, but Lee held his ground and kept the title.  I made up my mind to see the movie, and was surprised to find that it is now playing at the Sie Film Center, just across the walkway from the bookstore where I work here in Denver.  But then I found out that it was not a documentary, but a fictional drama.  So forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment