Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Parade Of Lights 2015



Yes.  I did go down to see the Parade of Lights last night, despite the cold. And for that matter, so did everyone else in the Denver area.  Denver - at last count - has a population of 2,700,000, and it is still a one event kind of town.  The People's Fair, the Taste of Colorado, the Parade of Lights, the National Western Stock Show, even every single damn Broncos game, everyone in town shows up for it.  I took the Light Rail train myself, and watched the thousands of cars entering downtown and trying to find a parking space.  Some probably still are. Most of the crowd seemed to really enjoy the event.



However, some did not, such as the poor homeless man trying to stay warm in the photograph on the right.  There was also a homeless young woman, looking very miserable, sitting next to her worldly possessions right behind the crowd watching the parade, a sign asking for handouts propped up beside her.  Denver has a large homeless population and there is still an ongoing debate about what to do about it, although I suspect it won't be much.  . If I was homeless, I would be on the road to Florida this very instant. As far as I am concerned, homeless and warm is a heck of a lot better than homeless and freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment