Monday, December 28, 2015

The Road To Little Dribbling


I scored a coup at the bookstore where I work when my office-mate Peter found and gave to me an advance reading copy of Bill Bryson's new book The Road to Little Dribbling.  Although it will not be released until January 19th (my 63rd birthday, no less), I now have the pleasure of reading it before almost anyone else.  And it is truly good.  It is a sequel of sorts to his book Notes From a Small Island, in which he toured Great Britain and gave his witty impressions about it all.  In this book he also tours Great Britain and compares present day England with how it was when he first arrived there back in the dark ages.  Bryson is as curmudgeonly as ever in this book - perhaps too much so, especially when he interacts with a McDonald's clerk in Bognor Regis, but he is still extremely witty.  Since he has a son living in Vail, I can only hope that on one of his visits there he will stop at the bookstore where I work in Denver to sign books and give a talk.  I can then discuss his curmudgeonlyness with him directly.  Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment