Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Phil Goodstein At The Buckhorn Exchange




I went to hear Denver historian and author Phil Goodstein give a talk last night at the Buckhorn Exchange, Denver's oldest saloon (seen in the photograph on the left).  First I got a bottle of beer at the bar (no drafts at this place - too traditional for that.  We are lucky they actually have heat and electricity). Then  I walked into the back room, where Goodstein was to give his talk.






I was surprised to find that the only people in the room were Goodstein (seen in the photograph on the right), a fellow historian, and two friends. I was immediately informed that I myself was the audience.  Instead of a formal talk, Goodstein and his friends traded very fascinating stories about Denver's colorful history and the sleezey and unethical characters who made fortunes at the public's expense.  These stories included projects implemented by local politicians I have admired and who I thought were above politics as usual. In any case, two others came into the room as Goodstein talked, and so at least I was no longer an audience of one.

When the other two people arrived, Goodstein gave his talk about the history of the bar, which dates from around 1885, and the neighborhood around it.  It was a very entertaining spiel, and at the end of it Goodstein pointed out a table of his books for sale.  Just try and get out of buying a book when there are only three people in the audience. Goodstein is not a fan of modern technology, and so it was cash or check only.  Fortunately he had some books for sale for $5.00, and I had exactly $5.00  in cash on me that I had planned on using for laundry.  I bought the book and got it signed, thanked Goodstein for his talk, and walked out into the bar area, where I took the photo on the left. The upstairs bar is very laid back and very Victorian in it's decor, while the downstairs dining room is a pricey steakhouse popular with out of town visitors with expense accounts.  It also has an entire ceiling covered with the horns and antlers of deceased animals, and so if you happen to be in Denver, I advise you to definitely not take your vegetarian friends or any PETA members here for dinner.  Just like in Victorian times, they would swoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment