Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Winter Of The Wolf Moon


I just finished reading Winter of the Wolf Wind, the second Alex McKnight novel mystery writer Steve Hamilton ever wrote.  Once again, it was a great read.  It is the only book of his that the Denver Public Library doesn't carry, and so I wound up buying a used copy on  the internet.  The stories take place in Paradise, Michigan. 30 miles to the West of Sault Ste. Marie, and just across the bridge from Canada.  I imagine Paradise must be a lot like Herbster, Wisconsin, where my Grandfather Hoyt and Uncle John (my Grandmother Hoyt's brother-in-law) bought 80 acres of forestland back in 1918.  The last time my family visited the area was back in 1966, but I still own half of the property and have often thought it might be fun to build a cabin up there.  My father and his family once stayed up there through November, and my father told me he had to get out of the horse-drawn school wagon and jog along side of it to stay warm.  It just amazed me that my father actually rode a horse-drawn wagon to school, and I think I mentioned to him that he must really be ancient to have had that experience.  And I don't believe he appreciated that comment at all.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment