Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Look Back At A Trip To The Chicago Auto Show


I took the above photograph of my mother Mary and father Nelson back in February or March of 1962, when I was 9 years old.  I used to love going to the auto show, not only because it was something I could do with both of my parents but also because it was very exciting.  It was held in the old McCormick Place (which burned down 5 years later and was rebuilt twice as big), and everything was bright and glitzy.  My mother told the salesman at one booth how much she liked the car on display, and he told her the Queen of England was fond of it, too.  And we all marveled at the high cost of a Jaguar XKE sports car, and wondered who in the world could afford to pay $6,000 for a car.  I think I wound up sitting in every car on display there, and was dragged back to our car to go home, walking along wintry Lake Michigan, where I took the above photo.  Those were the days, as Archie Bunker and Edith used to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment